Discover the eternal beauty of mosaics in one of the most famous UNESCO monuments in Ravenna, in a visit that begins in Piazza San Francesco and winds its way through the streets of the old town, taking in three of the eight UNESCO monuments in Ravenna.
Throughout this tour, you will be looked after by an expert guide and have the chance to visit three of these magnificent jewels of Ravenna:
– the Basilica of San Vitale: one of the most important monuments of Early Christian art in Italy.
The monument dates from the VI century and shows a clear eastern influence, on an octagonal plan and surmounted by a large frescoed dome.
On entering the basilica, your gaze is captured by the high spaces, the fantastic mosaic decorations of the apse, and the extraordinary representation of the Byzantine imperial couple, Justinian and Theodora with their entourage.
– the Basilica of Sant’Apollinare Nuovo: originally used as a Palatine Church of the Arian cult, today it allows us to reconstruct the evolution of the Byzantine wall mosaic from the Theodoric to the Justinian age. Inside, the 26 Christological scenes are one of the biggest monumental cycles of the New Testament.
– the Archbishop’s chapel: depicting the glorification of Christ from an anti-Arian perspective, it is the only example of an early Christian archbishop’s chapel that is still intact today.
• Where: Ravenna
• Meeting Point: Piazza San Francesco 7, Ravenna
• Activity / visit duration: around 3h
• Length: around 3km
• Type of clothing: comfortable
• Level of difficulty: Tourist
• Distance in km from the Adlon: around 65km
• Distance in minutes by car from the Adlon: around 60 min
• Distance in minutes by public transport from the Adlon: around 120 min
• Participation / entrance cost: from €25 per person (minimum number of participants)
• What is included:
– Qualified expert local guide
– Entrance pass to the monuments included in the tour
– Whisper radio guide with headphone jack
• Bike-tour guide (English / French / German-speaking): not available
• Hire of normal bike (city bike): not available
• Services available on request and with a fee:
– Private transfer
– Excursion backpack
– 2€ supplement for entrance to the Mausoleum of Galla Placidia and the Baptistery of Neon.
Would you like something made to measure just for you? We are more than ready to organise an exclusive tour based on your preferences. Get in touch now!
For more info and details, call us on +39.0541.643550 or send an e-mail to email@example.com.